Cleaning the watch strap or bracelet
Straps and bracelets are an integral component of watches. They are made from a wide variety of materials: from traditional metal and leather to ceramics, plastic, silicone, etc.
And the point is not only that it loses its appearance, but also because of pollution, especially from the inside , it creates the most favorable conditions for the propagation of harmful microorganisms. So that the strap / bracelet can be cleaned in the most inconvenient places for access, it must be removed from the watch.
- The ceramic bracelet on the watch is the easiest to clean – just wipe it with a soft cloth moistened with liquid for washing glasses, it will be like new.
- It is recommended to clean the leather strap on the watch with a cotton pad soaked in soapy water, to which several drops of ammonia have been added, after which the soapy residue is removed with a damp cloth. The silicone strap / bracelet is also cleaned with the same solution. It is not recommended to soak the leather strap in the solution, and also to clean it with gasoline or alcohol. If the skin on the strap is light, and even more so white, it is cleaned with a mixture of milk and egg white.
- For plastic, rubber and fabric straps / bracelets, it is recommended to clean with toothpaste or a solution of laundry soap.
- Stainless steel watches usually have a stainless steel bracelet, which is cleaned with a mixture of table vinegar and soda (vinegar can be replaced with ammonia). The silver bracelet is cleaned with the same solution. This can also be done with ordinary shampoo or a mild detergent for dishes. Although the bracelet is stainless, it must be wiped dry with a dry cotton cloth or microfiber.
- A gold bracelet is not steel, from constant wear it can become dull and become contaminated by sweat and grease , which pores on the hand secrete. It can not be cleaned with any aqueous solutions – only a mechanical cleaning method using baby powder, powdered chalk or powder. They are applied to a dry flannel , the bracelet is polished on both sides, and then wiped with a dry cloth.
How to choose a watch for men?
All watches are also divided into women’s watches, men’s watches and universal. Representatives of any gender can wear a universal option, but more often models with characteristic features of a particular category are purchased to emphasize their status.
Generally men’s watch models have a heavier case, wide strap or bracelet. The material for them is often platinum, gold or steel. Plain bracelet and case do not attract attention, unlike the dial. As a rule, it is distinguished by its complexity and the presence of additional elements on it. Shock-resistant self-winding models are popular.
If you want to give a man a watch, with the expectation that he wears their daily lives, it is best in this case to make your choice in favor of mechanical models. At the same time, if you need to give a watch for fishing, tourism, sports and other active forms of life, then it is best to choose a quartz watch.
3 Types of watches
- Quartz (electromechanical)
The operation of the mechanism is based on quartz – quartz sets the step frequency of the stepper micromotor, which drives the arrows. It is mainly used for the manufacture of female products, since they are small and there is no room for the mechanism.
They are accurate and characterized by affordable price. There are also expensive quartz models made of precious metals. The peculiarity is that they do not need to be started, it is enough to change the battery every two to three years.
This is a variation of the quartz movement, that is, the heart of the models is quartz, but unlike quartz watches, the step frequency is set not by the stepping motor, but by the generator sending signals to the microprocessor. The main difference is the digital display, where time and other indicators of additional functions are displayed on the display.
Electronic watches are popular – inexpensive and show the exact time. There are models in which time is indicated by “arrows” (electronic dial).
Mechanical models – the mechanism works on the principle of a gearbox. The watch is driven by compression of the spring and its gradual deployment. Unwinding, the spring drives the gears, the accuracy of time and service life depends on the material used in the manufacture of the gears, and the crystals on which they are fixed (stones).
In elite watches, the documentation indicates the number of stones in the mechanism, precious stones are used, artificial models are used in budget models.