How to clean the watch at home?
Brushing off dust from the surface of your hand-made accessory or home “walkers” is just a small fraction of what you can do. But even if you perform a similar procedure with enviable regularity, this will not be enough. Over time, you will have to allocate time and thoroughly clean the watch at home, or to be more precise – individual parts of the subject, for example, a dial. The following parts of the mechanism require constant care:
Cleaning will take place in three stages – we will deal with each of them in more detail.
Stage 1. Mechanism:
- Open the case and carefully remove the mechanism. To do this, you need to disconnect the screw that holds the mechanism in the case.
- If the dirt is large and visible to the naked eye, you can use a clean toothpick. Use it to remove dirt in easily accessible places.
Important! Manipulation should be carried out with extreme care so as not to break the tip of the toothpick. If it gets stuck inside – this can cause you new problems with getting the torn part out and a new question – how to repair a mechanical watch at home, due to the fact that this very toothpick damaged important structural elements.
- Use compressed air to clean the entire mechanism. Only apply slight pressure so as not to damage the delicate joints of all watch parts.
- Carry out the same procedure with the case. In this case, you can increase the air pressure for better cleaning.
- Take a thin brush and moisten it in pure gasoline or alcohol. Handle all the details of your mechanical watch with gentle smooth movements.
- Wipe with a cloth or napkin if there is a rough leak on the parts.
- Let the whole mechanism dry completely.
Stage 2. Case:
- Alcohol and gasoline will very well remove everything greasy and unnecessary from your watch. Moisten a cloth or cotton pad, swab and wipe the case.
- The corrosive dirt is cleaned inside and out with a brush dipped in one of these solutions. You can use a toothbrush.
- After carrying out these procedures, wipe all surfaces dry with a cloth.
Stage 3. Strap:
- Take a toothbrush with medium soft bristles to clean the strap from hard materials, and with soap or toothpaste clean all dirt.
- If the dirt is corrosive, then you need a brush moistened with gasoline or alcohol to clean the watch at home.
- For a strap with gold or silver dusting, use a cloth or swab instead of a brush.
- If the strap is made of leather or a substitute, then the swab moistened with a special solution for cleaning such a material will help remove dirt. Just wipe the strap carefully on both sides. For small contaminants, you can use the express solution – arm yourself with a damp antiseptic cloth and thoroughly wipe all the material.
- Wipe with a dry cloth and dry in a warm, ventilated area.
Important! In case your watch has a leather strap, do not use alcohol or gasoline. When using toxic materials, the skin will be damaged and lose its original appearance.
How to choose a watch for a man
Watches made for a business dress code usually have a simple and elegant look. Their case is made of metal, and the strap is made of leather. A round watch is considered to be classic, but this is not a panacea. As in the world of men’s fashion, black is more formal than brown. The white dial is more classic and therefore more suitable for a business dress code. Everything added to the watch, except for the three hands that show seconds, minutes and hours, are superfluous elements. For example, functions such as a stopwatch, calendar, backlight, and so on can be added to a watch. The maximum that you need to have in a classic watch is the day of the month, no more.
Which watch is right for you depends on what lifestyle you have, what social status you occupy, and of course what you like best. If you are a business person and a classic men’s suit is your work wear, then you should choose a leather strap. Try to choose the color of the leather strap for the rest of the details of clothing and accessories. There is no strict rule here, as in the combination of leather shoes and a belt on a belt, however, if you have the opportunity to wear a watch with a brown strap under brown shoes and a belt, this will not be superfluous.
So, you have decided that you need a watch. You go to the store and are surprised to see the picture that very similar watches can cost differently. The difference can reach several orders of magnitude. There is an explanation for this. When buying a watch, you pay for the following items:
- mastery of the watchmaker;
- watch or brand history
Note that you do not pay for the watch as such, but for the image. According to some reports, only 20-25% of the cost of watches is direct manufacturing costs (material, the work of the master), everything else is marketing, the brand name and its history. Therefore, the difference between a watch for $ 100 and for $ 1000 is to a greater extent the brand value, not the quality of the watch.
What else to know when buying.
Mechanical watches always more “classic” than quartz watches. Of course, quartz watches are more accurate, but the accuracy in the watch is not the main thing (we figured this out earlier). The very fact that on your hand is a complex mechanism that moves thanks to physics, not the battery, makes the watch a more stylish accessory than, for example, a mobile phone (even if it is an expensive phone).
Distinguish watches by their set of functions. The more functions in the watch, in addition to the main one – displaying the time on the dial, the more informal the clock. Sports watches – only for casual style and for a suit can be worn only if you want to show a rebellious character … or lack of taste.
If you wear a watch on a regular basis, then take a look at the watch with a car factory. When the hand moves, the pendulum moves in the clock, which automatically starts the clock. The only negative in such a watch is accuracy. The more often you wave your hand, the faster they go. Have to let the clock down regularly.
Sapphire crystal is stronger and less susceptible to scratches than mineral or plastic. As a rule, the cost of sapphire watches starts from $ 400 – $ 500.
Over the past 50 years, watches have become smaller, but recently, it has become fashionable to wear watches the size of a desktop alarm clock. Be more practical, and choose the size of the watch according to the size of your wrist. Too large a dial on a thin hand looks ridiculous; too small watches on a large hand do not look serious. Try on a watch, adjust the strap so that it hardly rotates on your wrist and look at the harmony of your hand and watch.
If you consider watches as an accessory that defines your classic business style, then it is better to look at the brands that are primarily engaged in the manufacture of watches, and not in addition to clothing, perfume or cars.
During its long journey, watches have undergone numerous changes. And since technology does not stand still, but is constantly changing, modern watches have also affected this. And in this case we are talking about solar-powered watches.
Initially, solar-powered watches appeared in small batches , but today almost all watch brands have similar models in their collections. The first to see the world was a solar-powered watch from Citizen. This brand presented its customers numerous models of watches with a similar type of power supply, including models such as waterproof and deep-sea.
Any watch needs power to work without interruption. For a wristwatch with a solar battery, sunlight acts as energy, which is quite enough if the watch is worn daily. But you need to think about the battery. It is used to accumulate energy in the daytime, which allows you to work for hours without interruptions in the evening and even at night.
The solar battery is located in the watch case and can be designed in different ways. Most often, it is presented as a small lens on the body. A solar photocell is placed under the glass, it is he who is responsible for converting the incident light into electricity and charging the battery. So the principle of operation of such watches is no different from the work of other solar-powered gadgets.
Most often, solar-powered watches are found in sports collections, although some brands also produce classic models of this accessory. The cost of such accessories is significant, therefore, counterfeits without a battery and with imitation of a photo cell very often fall on the shelves. Also, fakes are distinguished by the wrong brand name. So be careful when choosing such a watch.